Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Cape visit

Bob, Gram, and I had a good 3 1/2 days at the Cape. Grammy was very happy to be there, but confused with the layout (had trouble remembering which way to turn from the bathroom to her room). Valerie, thanks for leaving it in such clean shape. Only One thing: the boathouse door was swung open. Be sure to latch it securely! Bob mowed, I pruned a bit, we listened to cassette tapes(!), Dave Kimball came for dinner Sunday eve after Bob and he spent the day at Kimballs' house cutting wood for canoe and shell. Bob and I took turns running (Bob) and walking (me) in the mornings. So quiet and peaceful. Gram and I had a nice drive in Orleans: drove by Charlotte's church, down to the water on the ocean side looking for Larry Minear's house (we'll bring the address next time), drove to the 'Community' at Rock Landing. I'm telling you this so if any of you take her on a drive, these are the places she wants to see. We drove the car right to the house door for easier getting in and out. It worked well (esp. with 'Bob's ramp'). We tried reminiscing a bit, but all that came out was that she and Poppa/Dad had a good time coming here.
A list of future things that can be done done/fixed, pick one or two on your next visit:
  • Mow 
  • Go to dump ($10 per any car)
  • Fix/replace street-side screen door latch (didn't work at all at first)
  • Fix circuit for living room/mini hall-stairs/bunk room upstairs lights outlets
  • Fix cold water flow into washer
  • I've emailed George Moe about the downspout in the basement for deck corner gutters
  • Shred (Paul bring shredder?) brush pile?
  • Remake dock legs? (they seemed wobbly last fall, but tighter this spring)
  • Wash windows
Spoiler alert: Gram noticed the difference between a double bed and single. She wanted to be able to reach both sides of the bed. Sooo, we (Bob and I) moved beds around... and some side tables...Gram was confused by the furniture moving process, but liked the end result. She never mentioned 'Eric and my bed' (I found that a bit sad). We'll see what she says next time. I hope you like the changes... The good thing is, all main floor rooms have now been thoroughly vacuumed wall to wall. We found cobwebs a-plenty!
Here are some pictures of our weekend.

 First morning at the Cape
 Grammy is so happy to be here. She did a lap on the deck and enjoyed the sun.
 Second morning: the fog burned off to a beautiful warm day. This is about 6:30am.
 Okay, so I like to prune: here is last year's (and Jen's before that) work on the forsythia and...
Here is this weekend's pruning: it WILL grow back into a more rounded bush! Gram didn't notice, and in her present frame of mind, wouldn't care, I think. :)
 Here is the chimney cap: George Moe says half is gone. I'll look at older pix to see if this is different. We had the roof redone last year and I think it was a full cap. What to do?
The forsythia by the driveway and the about-to-bloom crab apple trees on the other side.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pruned around the Forsythia a lot last year which is why it looks so exposed.
    The chimney cap half disappeared a long time ago. We should get it recapped.
    Mom looks so happy!!!

    ReplyDelete