Saturday, January 2, 2016

More up and downs:
We had a much quieter Christmas with just the Bushes. Mom came home Christmas day (with Daniel, Bob and me) then again Saturday with us and Anna, Jen and Matt. She had a nice time eating cardamom bread and meatballs and herring. Opening presents was successful too. Then back to the Hearth, not unhappily.
Right after Christmas, one of her upper permanent teeth broke off. It's one that helps hold the upper dentures in... She didn't know it happened, no pain or sharp leftover tooth. I took her to the dentist on the 27th, he said if there's no pain and the denture seems to be staying in, 'let's not do anything yet'. Well since then, she has started taking out the denture at every meal and slipping it into her pocket. The staff was in a tizzy today because they couldn't find it! It was in her pants pocket. So we decided to keep it out until we can get to the dentist and see what other solution there is. I will call the dentist on Monday. The staff has been told to cut up her food so she can eat without upper chewers! She's not too aware of this except it feels different.
Today she was happy to see me, but thought I was bringing her (and 'everyone'!) to some party with Bob, so kept saying how disappointed she was and crying. Very hard to take or to make her understand that there was no party.  I finally told her I needed to go to help our friend Kris move. On the way to the activity room, she brightened up and remembered that she had scored 3 times in the bean bag toss earlier in the day. I left when the group was playing hangman, a game she can participate in.
On top of this, we're worried about Bob's mom diagnosed with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia and just diagnosed this week with Myeloma and starting radiation for a tumor on her spine, and sad that our friends the Kimballs are actually moving in the next two weeks (not far away, but out of Glastonbury)...

No comments:

Post a Comment